Lemon Sugar Cookies

This recipe came with a box of spices I got for my birthday from Penzeys. I've never used dehydrated lemon peel before. I actually couldn't really taste the lemon peel, but a friend ate one and immediately said, "Is there lemon in this?" so I guess it is noticeable. I thought they were a little bland so I drizzled them with chcolate.
To rehydrate lemon peel, add 3 parts water to 1 part peel and let stand 15 minutes. 1 tbsp. of minced lemon peel is equal to the zest of one medium lemon.
1 tsp. lemon peel
2 ¼ cups flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
1 cup butter
1 cup granulated sugar
½ cup light brown sugar (I totally forgot to add this...and it still came out fine, if not a little cakier than it would have had I added it)
2 eggs
2 tbsp. vanilla extract
Rehydrate lemon peel in 1 tbsp. of water. Sift flouer with baking soda and salt. Cream butter and sugar in bowl. Add eggs, lemon peel and vanilla. Mix well. Add flour mixture to butter mixture in two parts and mix well. Drop tsp. size amounts on nonstick cookie sheets (I use silpats), sprinkle with sugar (I used a small ice cream scoop to make uniform balls and rolled them in sugar, which made the bottoms a beautiful brown color) and bake in preheated 375° oven just until edges are light brown (about 11 minutes). Remove from oven and let set for 2 minutes. Place on cooling rack.
To drizzle with chocolate, melt milk chocolate in a double boiler until smooth (I probably used about 16 oz of chocolate). Place into squirt bottle and drizzle in zig zag patterns over cookies (I put a sheet of wax paper underneath the cooling racks to catch the drips).
Grade: B

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home