Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Baked Rice (Arroz al Horno)

This recipe is from Cooking Light. It's a new way to cook ricein the oven, instead of on the stove. It was good, but a little bland. The next time I make it, I will add more salt and pepper.

Makes 6 servings

1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
1/3 cup fine chop shiitake caps
2 tablespoons mince onions
1 1/4 cups Arborio or other short grain rice (I used long grain, because that's what I had)
2 1/2 cups less sodium chicken broth
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon crushed saffron
2 tablespoons mince fresh parsley (I left this out as we're not big on parsley)
1 1/2 teaspoons mince fresh thyme

Preheat oven to 400°.

Heat olive oil in a 2-quart ovenproof saucepan. Add mushrooms and onion; cook 5 minutes. Add rice, broth, salt, and saffron; bring to a boil. Wrap handle of pan with foil; cover and transfer pan to oven. Bake at 400° for 15 minutes. Remove from oven; let stand, covered, 10 minutes. Add parsley and thyme.

Grade: B-/B

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

whoa, i loove baked rice! Gota try this recipe... Thanks for sharing!

4/27/2006 6:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home