Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Red Lobster

88-01 QUEENS BLVD
ELMHURST NY 11373
(718) 760-3050

Red Lobster is one of those restaurants that I often frequented as a child, therefore even though the food is only mediocre, I have a tender affection for it. Plus, those cheddar bay biscuits are like crack.

The first thing my friends and I noticed is that the little Mrs. Field's cookie kiosk outside the RL wafted the scent of chocolate chip cookies throughout the entire mall, to the point where I think one of my teeth fell out.

It was really crowded at RL. At first we thought it was because it was Shrimp Lover's Tuesday. We were wrong. It was actually because the service was really slow. I think it took us 90 minutes to eat our meal and it was at least 20 minutes before we got any biscuits, which we naturally attacked like a pack of wolves when they finally arrived. The worst thing about the slow service was that we didn't finish eating until 9:15 which meant we only had 45 minutes to shop at Target, the real purpose of our trip.

Service aside (and I will say, our server was actually very nice even if he was ineffectual), the word of the day was GREASE! For starts we had the artichoke, lobster & seafood dip. I'm quite sure that were I not ravenous when this came out, I would have thought it gross, but as it was, I thought it was not bad. Very greasy dip partnered with very greasy chips. Not much artichoke of which to speak. We all—let us not forget it was Shrimp Lover's Tuesdayhad shrimp for dinner. I had popcorn, scampi and coconut shrimp bites with a healthy dose of mashed potatoes. I love the mashed potatoes here, very creamy. The scampi was pretty good and the popcorn shrimp coupled with their tartar sauce was tasty as well. The coconut bites were alternately spicy and cloyingly sweet and the dipping sauce tasted like suntan lotion.

By the end of the meal, one person had a tummy ache, one person took home a very odiferous doggy bag and I was just anxious about running out of time at Target. But was it worth it? For the biscuits, anything is worth it.

Grade: C

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I stepped on the scale this morning and was two pounds heavier...Alas, we didn't even have the stomach for "Buy 3 cookies, Get 1 free" at Mrs. Fields...
Miss B

1/25/2006 12:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh no, not cookies after that wretched meal! My heart can't take it, much less my poor stomach.

1/26/2006 7:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home