Chicken and Shredded Cabbage Salad with Noodles and Peanut Sauce

This recipe comes from my good friend, Martha Stewart. I made this last night. I made way too much of it, so if anyone wants any, it's in my fridge. Help yourself.
Chicken and Shredded Cabbage Salad with Noodles and Peanut Sauce
MAKES 12 SERVINGS
1 cup Chili Garlic Peanut Sauce (recipe below)
3 quarts water
2 stalks celery, cut in half
2-inch piece ginger root, thin slice
2 cloves garlic
8 sprigs cilantro, rough chop
2 tablespoons toasted sesame oil
3 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 pound somen or vermicelli (I used whole wheat soba to good effect)
1/2 head green cabbage
6 carrots, peeled
2 jalapeno chiles, seeded and ribbed (I totally forgot to add this)
1/2 cup loose pack mint leaves chopped (not a big fan of fresh mint, so I omitted)
1/2 cup roasted peanuts
In a large saucepan, combine the water with celery, ginger, garlic, chopped cilantro, 1 tablespoon sesame oil and pinch of salt; bring to a boil over high heat. Add the chicken breasts, and reduce heat to medium, Simmer until chicken is cooked through, about 12 minutes. Remove from heat, and let stand until chicken is cool enough to handle, about 10 minutes (or put in the fridge to speed cooling time). Transfer the chicken to a cutting board, and cut into 1/4 in. strips, or shred as finely as possible with your fingers. Place in a medium bowl, and set aside.
Bring a large pot of water to a boil; add salt. Cook noodles until they are al dente according to package instructions, about 3 minutes. Transfer to a colander, let drain and rinse under cold water until they are cool. Place in a medium bowl, and toss with remaining tablesooon sesame oil; set aside.
Cut cabbage in half, and remove core. Slice cabbage and carrots as thinly as possible with a mandoline or sharp knife. Place in a large bowl. Cut jalapenos into very thin strips, and add to bowl along with shredded chicken and mint. Just before serving, pour peanut sauce over mixture, and toss to coat.
Chili Garlic Peanut Sauce
MAKES ABOUT 1 1/2 CUPS
1 tablespoon peanut oil (I used plain veggie oil)
1 lg. shallot, fine chop
1 clove lg. garlic, fine chop
1/4 cup unsweetened coconut milk
1/2 cup chunky peanut butter (I used smooth)
1 tablespoon dark brown sugar (I used light)
1 teaspoon asian garlic chili sauce or Tabasco (trust me, stick with the garlic chili sauce)
1/2 teaspoon fine grate ginger
1 cup water
2 tablespoons lime juice
2 tablespoons unsalted dry roasted peanuts (I used salted because those are the most delicious)
In a medium saucepan, heat the peanut oil until shimmering. Add the shallot and garlic and cook over moderate heat, stirring, until golden, about 3 minutes. Remove from the heat and whisk in the coconut milk, peanut butter, brown sugar, chili-garlic sauce and ginger. Gradually whisk in the water. Simmer the sauce over moderately low heat until slightly thickened, about 10 minutes. Let cool slightly, then whisk in the lime juice and peanuts. Season with salt. Transfer the sauce to a bowl or a glass jar and serve warm, at room temperature or chilled.
Overall, this meal was pretty tasty and since you can eat it cold, makes a good lunch for work. The sauce is really delicious, but I should have salted the cabbage and carrots, as it tasted a little flat in the end. Though if I had added the mint and jalapeno, it probably wouldn't have been as noticeable. The most exciting thing was using my new citrus squeezer for the limes. This took about a good 45 minutes to make, and about as long to clean up all the little bits of cabbage and carrot that had flung themselves all over the kitchen.
Grade: B/B-

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home