Monday, January 23, 2006

Sanford's

30-13 Broadway
Astoria, NY 11106-2610
(718) 932-9569

Anyone who knows me knows how I feel about diners: love them. In fact, one of the saddest things about my recent move was that I didn't know where the nearest diner was. Is there anything better than a fried egg sandwich? If there is, I don't want to know about it.

So it was only a matter of time before I went to Sanford's, which looks like a diner (read: no decor) but serves slightly more upscale comfort food. They have about 9,000 different sandwiches on the menu from wraps to burgers to panini. I ordered a Copenhagen panini (turkey, slaw, Muenster, Russian dressing) with sweet potato fries. Technically, I wouldn't call it a panini because it wasn't really pressed together and the bread——I think it was ciabatta—was too thick to ever get to that credit card-sized sandwich which makes a panini what it is. But it was still damn tasty. And of course, wonderfully cheap.

The only downside is that the ketchup is funky. It may come out of a Heinz bottle, but Heinz it is not. It pours too quickly and has a really odd, unpleasant vinegar taste to it (yes, smartass, I know all ketchup contains vinegar). It actually tasted like beer. Hmm, maybe it wasn't so bad after all.

Grade: B

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home