Thursday, February 23, 2006

Texas Mac and Chili Cheese

This comes from Southern Living (always a good spot for something rich and comforting). It was my first time making a roux, and roasting peppers over an open flame. All in all, a very successful and tasty dish.

Makes 8 servings

4 poblano peppers
1 pound elbow macaroni
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup flour
2 cups whipping cream
1 cup milk
12 ounces shred monterey jack cheese (3 cups)
4 ounces goat cheese crumbled
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup Italian season bread crumbs
1/2 cup shred parmesan cheese (2 oz)

BROIL chile peppers on an aluminum foil-lined baking sheet 5 inches from heat about 5 minutes on each side or until chiles look blistered. (This is where I roasted them over the gas stovetop instead. A little more adventuresome, I think.)

PLACE chiles in a zip-top plastic bag; seal and let stand 10 minutes to loosen skins. Peel chiles; remove and discard seeds, and cut chiles into strips. Set aside. (Rubbing them with a paper towel is a fast way to get the skins off.)

PREPARE macaroni according to package directions; drain and set aside.

MELT butter in a Dutch oven over low heat; whisk in flour until smooth. Cook 1 minute, whisking constantly. Gradually whisk in cream and milk; cook over medium heat, whisking constantly, 5 minutes or until mixture is thickened and bubbly. (I don't own a dutch oven, so I used a big stockpot, which was just as good.)

STIR in 2-3/4 cups Monterey Jack cheese, crumbled goat cheese, and salt until smooth. Stir in roasted chiles and macaroni. (I chopped the chilies in a food processor. The heat is mild, but the smaller they are, the easier they are to eat for those that don't do spicy.)

SPOON mixture into a lightly greased 13 x 9-inch baking dish. Top evenly with Italian-seasoned breadcrumbs and Parmesan cheese. (I used two baking dishes since I didn't have that exact size.)

BAKE at 375° for 40 minules. Remove from oven, and sprinkle evenly with remaining 1/4 cup Monterey Jack cheese.

BROIL 5 inches from heat about 3 to 5 minutes or until cheese is golden and bubbly. (I forgot to do those last two steps, but it was still perfect.)

Grade: B+/A-

1 Comments:

Blogger Girl Ray said...

S'wonderful!!! You can make this for me anytime!!!

3/01/2006 2:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home